The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES).
Time of issue: 11.50am
Date of issue: 2 March 2015
Get ready now for thunderstorms from Northampton to Telfer
If you live in an area bounded by Northampton to Paynes Find to Leinster to Warburton to Telfer to Minilya to Northampton you need to get ready now for thunderstorms coming late this morning and continuing into the afternoon and evening. This includes people in, near or between Meekatharra, Newman and Northampton.
The overall weather pattern is not unusual for this time of year, but severe weather may occur in some parts of the warning area.
WHAT TO DO:
DFES has these tips to help you and your family get ready now:
- Store or weigh down loose objects around your home like outdoor furniture that could be picked up and thrown by strong winds, causing damage or injury
- Ensure your emergency kit is complete including a battery operated radio, torch, spare batteries and first aid kit
- Ensure pets and animals are in a safe area
- Move vehicles under cover
- Boat owners should securely moor their boats
- Campers should find safe shelter away from trees, powerlines, storm water drains and streams
- Unplug electrical appliances and avoid using landline telephone if there is lightning.
If you are away from home contact family or friends to prepare your property
As at 10.53 am on 2 March 2015 the Bureau of Meteorology advises there is a risk of SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS developing late Monday morning and continuing into the afternoon and evening.
- If your home has been badly damaged by a storm call the SES on 132 500
- In a life threatening situation call 000
- For the latest weather information visit http://www.bom.gov.au/ or call 1300 659 213
After a storm State Emergency Service (SES) volunteers make temporary repairs to homes that have been badly damaged, such as roofs that have been ripped off or large fallen trees on homes and cars. Please contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit http://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/ or call 13 DFES (13 3337).
Categorised in: News